"Aktion Reinhardt" - Extermination of the Jews in the General Government
An International Conference on the 60th Anniversary of the Extermination of the Jews in the General Government
Under the Auspices of the President of Poland Mr Aleksander Kwaśniewski and the President of Germany Mr Johannes Rau
In co-operation with the Majdanek State Museum in Lublin and the Jewish Historical Institute in Warsaw Co-funded by the Polish-German Foundation of Co-operation with the financial support of the Federal Republic of Germany
November 7-9, 2002 (Thursday, Friday, Saturday)
7th of November
9 a.m. - Opening of the exhibition "Aktion Reinhardt" - Extermination of the Jews in the General Government at the Majdanek State Museum. A walk to the Pavillion connected with a partial tour of the Museum.
11 - 11.20 a.m. - Opening of the conference at the "Lublinianka" hotel
Origins of "Aktion Reinhardt"
1. 11.20-11.40 a.m. - Israel Gutman, "Aktion Reinhardt" in Historiography
2. 11.40-11.50 a.m. - Bogdan Musial, Planning and Organization of Genocide: Origins of "Aktion Reinhardt"
3. 11.50-12.00 a.m. - Dieter Pohl, The Role of the Lublin District in the Genocide
4. 12.00-12.10 a.m. - David Silberklang, The Beginning of "Aktion Reinhardt": Liquidation of the First Ghettos in the Lublin District
12.10 - 12.25 a.m. - Coffee break
5. 12.25 -12.40 a.m. - Commentator (Feliks Tych).
12.40 a.m. - 1.40 p.m. - Discussion
1.40 p.m. - 2.40 p.m. - Lunch
1. 2.40-2.50 p.m.- Peter Witte, Functioning of the Death Camps in Bełżec and Sobibór
2. 2.50-3.00 p.m. - Edward Kopówka, The Death Camp in Treblinka
3. 3.00-3.10 p.m. - Tomasz Kranz, The Role of the Majdanek Concentration Camp during "Aktion Reinhardt"
4. 3.10-3.25 p.m. - Commentator (David Silberklang).
3.25-4.30 p.m. - Discussion
7.30 p.m. - Banquet
8th of November
Transit Camps and Deportations
1. 9.00-9.10 a.m. - Robert Kuwałek, Transit Ghettos in the Lublin District (Izbica, Rejowiec, Piaski, Trawniki)
2. 9.10-9.20 a.m. - Janina Kiełboń, Deportations of Jews to the Lublin District (from Germany, Austria, Slovakia, the Protectorate, Holland, France etc.).
3. 9.20-9.30 a.m. - Andrzej Żbikowski, Katzmann's Report and Extermination of the Galician Jews
4. 9.30-9.40 a.m. - Sara Bender, "Aktion Reinhardt" in the Białystok Region
5. 9.40-9.50 a.m. - Jacek Andrzej Młynarczyk, "Aktion Reinhardt" in the Radom District
6. 9.50-10.00 a.m. - Felicja Karay, Work Camps for Jews during "Aktion Reinhardt"
10.00-10.20 - Coffee break
7. 10.20-10.40 a.m. - Commentator (Tomasz Kranz)
10.40-12.00 a.m. - Discussion
12.30 a.m. - 1.30 p.m. - Lunch
1. 1.30-1.40 p.m. - Thomas Sandkühler, Economical Exploitation: Nazi Planning and Direct Implementation
2. 1.40-1.50 p.m. - Wolfgang Scheffler, German Perpetrators and Post-War Trials
3. 1.50-2.00 p.m. - Witold Kulesza, Prosecuting the Perpetrators in Poland - The Polish Administration of Justice
4. 2.00-2.10 p.m. - Peter Black, "Trawnikimänner". Non-German Auxiliary Staff During "Aktion Reinhardt"
5. 2.10-2.20 p.m. - Patricia Heberer, Continuity in Killing Operations: "T4" Perpetrators and the "Aktion Reinhardt"
6. 2.20-2.30 p.m. - Klaus Michael Mallmann, Security Police in the Cracow District
2.30-3.00 p.m. - Coffee break
3.00-3.20 p.m. - Commentator (Dieter Pohl)
3.20-4.20 p.m. - Discussion
9th of November
Poles and Jews in the Face of the Holocaust
1. 9.00-9.10 a.m. - Shmuel Krakowski, Jewish Resistance in the General Government
2. 9.10-9.20 a.m. - Ewa Łazoryk, In the hiding on the "arian side" in the testimonies and memoirs
3. 9.20-9.30 a.m. - Gunnar S. Paulsson, Polish-Jewish Relations in 'Aryan' Warsaw, 1940-1945
4. 9.30-9.40 a.m. - Dariusz Libionka, The Attitude of Gentiles in the Lublin District Toward the Extermination of the Jews
5. 9.40-9.50 a.m. - Daniel Blatman, Reactions of the Jewish Organizations to the News from Poland
9.50-10.10 a.m. - Coffee break
10.10-10.30 a.m. - Commentator (Andrzej Żbikowski)
10.30-12.30 a.m. - Discussion
12.30-1.00 p.m. - Caffee break
1.00-2.00 p.m. - Panel discussion "The Significance of Aktion Reinhardt in the Nazi Policy" (Israel Gutman, Franciszek Piper, Wolfgang Benz, Zygmunt Mańkowski, Feliks Tych, Wolfgang Scheffler)
2.00-3.00 p.m. - Lunch
4.00-6.00 p.m. - Tour of Lublin - sites connected with the Nazi occupation of the city (the area of the former ghetto and the German district)
10th of November
Those who are interested will have an opportunity to visit the former death camps in Bełżec or Sobibór. On the way to Bełżec there will be a possibility to visit Izbica and Zamość and on the way to Sobibór Łęczna and Włodawa. A guide will comment on the local aspects of "Aktion Reinhardt".